Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Thing About Making Meals For Infants and Toddlers

I love, LOVE making Sabrina's food.  But man! Do I hate all the chopping.  Since she has to have things a certain size (and we want to be certain) I chop and chop and chop and STILL I get these nasty stains (sorry could not resist).  I made this Lasagna for her, actually last week, when I started writing this post and fell asleep each time I started).  She loves this, the first night I made it and she had it I was worried she didn't, Bobby didn't know that was her dinner and started feeding her something else.  I gave him the lasagna, he got her to eat 3 bites and that was it, she didn't want anything else.  I didn't know he had already fed her.  Well 2 days later he fed it to he again and since any time she has it she eats it up.  Oh yeah, this makes a good sized sheet of lasagna, so I chopped it into meal sized sections and froze.  This should not sit in the fridge for more than a few days and should not be left frozen for more than 30 - 45 days.

Recipes for your vegetarian baby - Pumpkin Lasagna
1 lb butternut pumpkin/squash, peeled and chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
9 sheets of instant lasagna
8 oz (2 cups) grated Cheddar
*homemade tomato sauce

*To make the tomato sauce, combine fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic and Italian herbs to taste.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg F, 180 deg C.
Boil or steam the pumpkin until tender, then mash.
In a skillet/frying pan, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
Stir the onion mixture into the mashed pumpkin, mixing well.
Place 3 lasagna sheets in a long, deep oven dish (greased).
Top with half of the mashed pumpkin, then a sprinkle of the grated cheese and 1/3 of the tomato sauce.
Repeat the layers, and finish with the last pasta sheets, cheese and remaining tomato sauce.
Bake for about 30 mins, until the pasta is done.
Chop as necessary, refrigerating any leftovers for up to 2 days of freezing for up to one month.

No comments: