Monday, September 06, 2010

A Different Kind Of Dinner (well for Us)



I thought I'd try something different.  Everyone is constantly talking about chicken & waffles, and I can't eat chicken so I kept thinking of compromises.  I didn't really want to do turkey and waffles (but I did).   So, I made Bobby the chicken & waffles and mine with turkey breast.  I used a recipe for the waffles that is cheddar cheese waffles, for some reason my head said I'd like that more than just plain old waffles or buttermilk waffles.  My head knows it's business.  Also I wanted to batter the meat in a buttermilk batter, I found several recipes that just floured the meat but that for me was not going to make the skinless breast have enough flavor. Sabrina and I had already gone to the store that day and I was out of buttermilk, yes I keep buttermilk in the fridge, I use it a lot in recipes.  So I used an amber ale to make my batter, deep fried the meat, made the waffles in my Belgian waffle maker and the maple infused syrup (maple syrup in a sauce pan, throw in a few fresh thyme leaves and a bay leaf then let it get to a boil).  OH MY GOODNESS!  this was SO good.  It was beyond filling.  WE WERE STUFFED.  Of course the turkey breast were much larger than the chicken breast so I could not even finish that.  But now I can say I've had chicken and waffles, (sort of).  I'd make it again that is for sure, but next time i'd go get the buttermilk.  The ale worked out in a pinch, but the buttermilk batter would have been much fuller and fluffier.  

I made Coq Au Vin the other night and darnit if I did not forget to take a pic of it along with... yes yes  My yes MY lemon cheesecake.  I made a recipe for a lemon cheesecake I have been working on for a while and this was my first run with it.  We had a wine tasting party Saturday night so I made the Coq Au Vin, my Mango Mojo pork chops My mac and cheese (yes that recipe is mine also)  I made a 6 cheese Mac and a 10 cheese mac.  The TEN went fast.  Most people had 2 or more servings.  I also made for dessert berrimisu. Also you can see from the pic I made Sabrina some mini frittata's for her dinner and snacks.  I love those things.

No comments: